JFCS works with adults, couples and families one-on-one and in group settings to strengthen relationships and communication, cope with grief, trauma, loss and depression, manage anger and stress, and address any range of emotional issues.
2. Does JFCS provide services for children and teens?
JFCS provides a range of individual and group counseling for children and teens struggling with family, school, friends, learning disabilities, and emotional issues. These include art and play therapy, school groups for at-risk children, and onsite counseling at schools.
3. What services does JFCS provide for older adults?
JFCS helps older adults find the support they need to live with dignity and independence. In addition to providing counseling and support groups, JFCS care managers help seniors pay bills, manage their money, and avoid fraud.
4. Does JFCS respond to emergency situations?
It can happen to any one. When emergencies happen, people may find themselves in desperate need of help. JFCS can help pay emergency bills that keep the lights on or provide funds for food, clothing and other vital needs. We also provide low-cost burial services for indigent Jews.
5. Do you have to be Jewish to utilize JFCS services?
No, JFCS is available to everyone regardless of religion, ethnicity, disability, or sexual orientation.
6. What does counseling cost?
Our counseling service fees are based on a sliding scale determined by your monthly net household income. They also vary according to the type of services you receive– individual, group, or joint sessions.
7. Do you accept insurance?
We accept some PPO plans. We do not accept Medi-Cal, but our sliding scale makes our services affordable to all.
8. I have never been to JFCS, but I would like to make an appointment. What should I do?
Please call us and we will arrange for an intake with one of our intake specialists. Once this intake is complete, a clinician will call you to set up an appointment.
9. How soon after I call to set up an appointment will I get a call back?
You will be called back within 72 hours.
10. How is a therapist chosen for me?
After an intake is completed you will be matched with a therapist that is best suited to meet your needs.
11. Can I make an appointment for my child?
Yes. Though anyone 12 and older is able to schedule for themselves, in general we prefer to include the parent or parents when scheduling appointments for children and adolescents.
12. If my child is being seen, will I communicate with their therapist?
Parents are included in the treatment of a child whenever possible and in cases where it is deemed helpful for the child. You will have access to your child’s therapist, but specific information from their session may not be shared due to confidentiality.
13. Can more than one member of my family come for therapy?
Yes, and each member would have their own individual therapist. A couple would generally have a different therapist if coming in individually as well.
14. How long is the typical course of treatment for therapy?
Therapy can take as long or as short as you find helpful.
15. Is there a specific type of therapy offered at JFCS?
Your needs will be assessed and the type of treatment will be selected following “best practices” in assisting you.
16. Does JFCS offer group therapy?
We offer both therapy and support groups. Check the website or contact us to inquire if you are interested in a particular group.
17. Can I see a psychologist or psychiatrist at JFCS?
JFCS clinicians are graduate and post-graduate interns. They are supervised by our licensed social worker and our licensed marriage and family therapist. However, we can provide referral to psychologists and psychiatrists in the Long Beach area.
18. Do you help with rental assistance or housing?
No, JFCS does not help with housing; however, we can provide you with referral to assist you in your search.
19. Do you offer court-approved domestic violence and/or parenting trainings?
Yes, JFCS offers court-approved domestic violence trainings. Our training groups are held once a week for 14 weeks. Please contact our office at (562) 427-7916 to get more information about fees, times, and dates the group is held.
20. If I don’t have child care can I bring my children in to my sessions?
We believe that bringing children into the session does not allow for the best therapeutic experience possible. The Jewish Community Center offers child care at a low cost. Please contact them at (562) 426-7601 for more information.
21. I am in need of emergency shelter. Does JFCS help with this?
JFCS has Care Managers who will assist older adult clients with finding affordable housing. However, we cannot accommodate urgent needs. If you are or someone you know is currently experiencing homelessness, please contact the Long Beach Multi-Service Center.
Long Beach Multi-Service Center
1301 W. 12th Street
Long Beach, California 90813
Phone: (562) 733-1147, extension 101
22. Does JFCS provide in-home caregivers?
JFCS makes home visits for one-on-one therapeutic counseling, case management and direct money management but we do not provide in-home caregivers. JFCS has a variety of outside agency referrals for older adults in need of caregiving services. Those referrals can be obtained by calling our office or can be given at the time of a home visit.
23. I live out of town and I’m worried about a loved one who seems to be declining physically, cognitively or both. Does JFCS have anyone who can make a home visit to assess my loved one to see what, if any, changes should be made?
Yes, JFCS has a Clinical Social Worker, a Case Manager, and a group of Master’s level social work interns who are available for appointments for home visits and assessments. These individuals will visit your loved one and test for cognition issues and home safety and risk issues. The Social Worker/Care Manager/Intern will then make recommendations about how to improve safety in the home and will make appropriate referrals to outside agencies in order to assure quality of life, aging in place, and to avoid premature institutionalization. Please call our office for details and cost information.